Friday, March 30, 2012

title

When I started writing the novel, I had named it era (prey).There is something mysterious about the word era.
For me era feels softer, susceptible and gentle, yet not so helpless whereas prey is something you see in National geographic programs, in one of those African Savannah's, chased by the bigger stronger animal.

When Yaya read the title, she read it as Era ( like common era) and I had to explain to my bewildered child that I meant something totally different. So obviously I had to find a different name.

I write at night.
Right outside my bedroom window is my favourite Muraya tree. In the last 6 months, the tree has grown totally out of control ( as opposed to before when the previous owner had trimmed it to make it look a work of art).
The tree is 7 feet tall, beautiful glossy dark green leaves and when in bloom produces the most fragrant white flowers. It is a very hardy native plant, doesn't need to be watered  and will not die under my loving neglect.
Though I am (partially) deaf, when all is quiet, I can hear the wind whispering the secrets to the Muraya  and the leaves rustling
Wind carries with her the sighs. The sigh of a mother trying to soothe the crying child all night, The sigh of a woman feeling contended to be in her lover's embrace. It is the sigh of the child dreaming of the castles and Queens in the sky kingdom. The sigh of the mother grieving for dead child, the sigh of a broken heart,
So many sighs the wind carries to the Muraya and whispers at night. As I mentioned yesterday, it is the sighs that became words.
That is why I named the book, Night whisperers.
Is the title good?
Pls let me know.

Please note:All characters appearing in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living, dead or currently living like dead is purely coincidental.
It is highly possible that some resemblance to persons living, dead or currently living like dead might be plainly apparent to them and those who know them. but it is purely coincidental.


No comments: